Are you trying to find the smoothest fountain pen to add to your collection or to jazz up your everyday writing experience?
Fountain pens are experiencing a resurgence in popularity both with collectors and with people who enjoy using them as everyday pens. Writing with a fountain pen gives you the feeling of an everyday elegance that many people enjoy. But with so many to choose from, it can be difficult to find the ultimate smoothest fountain pen.
In this article, we are going to help you learn how to choose the best and smoothest fountain pen to meet your writing needs.
What is a fountain pen?
A fountain pen is a perfect blend of the old-world charm of a pen and ink combined with the need for something portable and easy to use in today’s world. Fountain pens have a nib instead of a traditional pen tip which dispenses water-based ink from the ink cartridge inside the pen.
Many people love the way that fountain pens make their writing look and enjoy the writing experience. Fountain pens have become increasingly popular with both people who are looking to collect high-end fountain pens and those who prefer a more budget-friendly option for everyday use.
What factors make a fountain pen smooth?
All fountain pens are not created equal. There are a few different factors that will determine how smooth your fountain pen writes. You can find a pen that meets every preference and writing style imaginable if you look hard enough.
The things you want to look for in your pen depend a lot on what you plan to use your pen for and how often you plan to use it. One person’s absolute favorite pen might not be your favorite pen because of how you like to use it or how you write.
Here are some of the things to consider when trying to find a smooth fountain pen:
Fountain pen nibs are not one-size-fits-all, and not just in the sense that the nib from one pen might not fit on another style pen.
Nibs come in different widths from very narrow to very broad. The nib size will change the way your writing looks because it provides more or less surface area that comes into contact with the paper.
Typically, a broader nib will provide a smoother writing experience for the user. This is because there is a broad, wide nib tip that is making contact with your paper. It will glide more smoothly along with the paper and deposit the ink more evenly than a thin nib might.
This is often why newbies to the fountain pen world will start out with a broad nib as they get used to writing with one. Over time, you can try out thinner nibs to see if you like that better once you get the hang of it.
Ink And Paper Matter
A big part of how your fountain pen works is the tools you use with it. What you use for ink and what kind of paper you are writing on will impact how smoothly your pen writes.
Although you don’t have to splurge on outrageously expensive fountain pen ink to get a smooth writing experience, you should be picky.
Try to find a refined, premium water-based ink to use with your fountain pen. Premium inks can be purchased on Amazon for as low as $10, so they don’t have to break the bank to be good.
You can’t always control the paper you have to write on with your fountain pen.
If you work in an office and are filling out a lot of forms or documents, chances are you are going to be writing on low-quality paper most of the time. However, if you are filling out or writing on anything important, try to opt for a heavier-weight paper for the smoothest fountain pen performance.
Better With Age
Fountain pen nibs are like a fine wine, they get better with age. Once you break in your fountain pen nib and have used it for a while, the tip will get smoother.
This is true with fountain pens at all price points and nib sizes. So if your fountain pen is writing a little bit choppy or inconsistently when you first start using it, give it some time and you will be writing smoothly before you know it.
Do more expensive fountain pens write more smoothly?
A common misconception about fountain pens is that you have to spend a fortune to get a good one. This is definitely not always the case. There are great fountain pens available at every price point, and in fact, some of the best fountain pens aren’t the most expensive pens.
What matters most when you’re choosing a fountain pen is getting a nib size that you feel comfortable writing with and using good quality ink.
What is the smoothest fountain pen?
Here is a roundup of some of the smoothest fountain pens that you can purchase easily on Amazon. These pens have rave reviews from pen enthusiasts everywhere, so they are worth checking out.
- LAMY 2000 Fountain Pen – This pen is an amazingly smooth fountain pen at an approachable price. It is a small investment, but it is a long-lasting pen from a great brand. This is the perfect pen for the entry-level pen enthusiast or beginning collector.
- fittings: stainless steel, matt brushed finish
- 14 ct. gold nib
- platinum coated
- piston operated filling system
- Timeless, functional design whose convincing aesthetics have not been created by adding, but above all by reduction. We...
- LAMY Safari Fountain Pen – This pen is under $20 and is a favorite of both high-end pen collectors and budget fountain pen fans. If you are new to fountain pens and want a smooth user experience, look no further than this awesome budget-friendly option.
- Charcoal Black ABS coloured plastic body
- Black coated steel nib; fine point
- Includes one Lamy T10 Blue Cartridge
- Accepts Z24 cartridge converter, sold separately.
- Dryden Designs Fountain Pen – With over 3,500 five-star reviews on Amazon, this $25 fountain pen is one of the smoothest and most inexpensive fountain pens on the market. It is smartly styled and very fun to write with.
- Writes Like A Dream - Designed to be well balanced, you do not have to press down hard to begin to write. Ink flows...
- Modern and Elegant - This sleek Mysterious Blue design adds a touch of modern class to your daily routine. It is made...
- Daily Use - This will be your best writing tool that you carry around and bring with you everywhere. With the smooth...
- Versatile Pen - Each one is compatible with both a standard cartridge and bottled ink, making it a versatile fountain...
- Complimentary Guide - With your purchase, you will receive a PDF with instructions and best practices for your signature...
You don’t have to blow your budget for a high-quality fountain pen. When in doubt, opt for a broad nib and make sure you use premium ink in your pen. Whether you are writing with a fancy fountain pen or an inexpensive Amazon brand, these tips will give you a smooth and pleasant writing experience.