If you’ve ever lost your favorite pen (or had a colleague “borrow” it and never return it to your desk), you’ll know that not all pens are born equal. Some pens just have those special qualities that make them extra enjoyable to write with.
The right pen is imperative for anyone who writes daily – be it journaling, studies, or paperwork. It’s not just the look and feel of the pen but how well it writes and how comfortable it is to hold in your hand for prolonged periods of time.
Look no further than our handy guide to the best pens for everyday use as we compare rollers, ballpoints, gel pens, and ergonomic pens to find the smoothest, most comfortable, and sleek design of pen that’s perfect for meeting your daily needs.
Table of Contents
What Are The Different Pen Types For Everyday Use?
There are four main pen types for everyday use.
These are great for writing on any surface and are less likely to smudge or bleed than other pen types.
A rollerball has free-flowing ink that doesn’t require a lot of pressure. This makes the pen easier on your hand and gives you a nice smooth writing flow.
These come in various colors that write smoothly but are prone to being a little messier than the other types of pens available.
An ergonomic pen takes the other version of pen available and increases the grip to make it easier on your hand.
What Are The Best Ballpoint Pens?
Uni-ball Jetstream RT Retractable Ballpoint Pens
The Uni-ball retractable ballpoint pen combines the smooth, vivid qualities of a gel pen with the quick-drying, smudge-resistant nature of a ballpoint pen. These pens are excellent for all daily needs with a comfortable grip and handy clip. Plus, the fast-drying ink prevents smudges (even for left-handers).
- RETRACTABLE BALLPOINT PEN: Our black ballpoint pens combine the smooth, vivid writing of gel ink with the quick-drying,...
- UNI SUPER INK: Water- and fade-resistant gel ink helps you compose long-lasting, high-quality documents you can archive;...
- QUICK-DRYING TECHNOLOGY: Our quick-drying black pen ink resists smudging and smearing, making this pen ideal for...
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Our writing pens feature a comfortable, embossed grip and sleek stainless steel accents;...
- PREMIUM PERFORMANCE: Our innovative black pens are great for all of your personal writing and professional writing...
Uni Jetstream Slim And Compact 0.5mm Ballpoint Pen
The Uni Jetstream provides a smooth writing experience with an oil-based pen that is fast-drying and waterproof. The finish is vibrant and consistent, and the pens come in three color refill options: black, blue, and red.
- Uni Jetstream ball point pen series provide addicted smooth writing experience and they are sold one hundred million...
- This multi pen features a slim, black color body—perfect for slipping into a pocket or pen pouch. It has wide push...
- It is oil-based ballpoint pen that writes as smooth as a gel ink pen. It is waterproof, fast drying, vibrant color and...
- Comes with 3 color refills (Black, Blue, and Red), 0.5mm
- Comes in our original Japanese Stationery package (Great as Gifts).
Paper Mate 1945925 InkJoy 300RT Retractable Ballpoint Pens
These Paper Mate ballpoint pens come in various hues to add a splash of color to your page, and the ultra-smooth ink gives you a fluid and reliable drawing line from beginning to end. The 1.0mm medium point also allows you to spread the ink perfectly.
- Ultra-smooth ink keeps your thoughts flowing and takes the drag out of writing
- Colorful ink in 8 bright shades adds fun to every page
- Reliable and fluid to draw clean lines from beginning to end
- 1.0mm medium point spreads ink perfectly
- Includes 18 ballpoint pens in assorted colors
What Are The Best Rollerball Pens?
Pilot Precise V5 RT Refillable And Retractable Liquid Ink Rolling Ball Pens.
This premium product offers an extra-fine precision design that is patented to deliver ultra-smooth and precise writing. The pen is available in 12 colors to bring some color to your notes, and a metal clip means you can keep the pen handy at all times.
- Pilot Precise V5 Rt: This premium retractable rolling ball pen has a patented extra fine precision tip to deliver...
- Precision Point: You'll love the clean lines & smooth ink delivery of this retractable rolling ball pen. Available in 12...
- Designed to Delight: If you love Pilot Precise pens, you'll want to try the full line of Precise V5, V5 Deco Collection,...
- Trusted Quality: We've been making pens for over 100 years. Whether you're taking notes, stocking up on school or office...
- Power To The Pen: Pilot makes exceptional writing instruments to suit all your needs. We have fountain, ballpoint,...
Cross Edge Pen
Cross is a well known brand in the pen industry, and the Cross Edge one of their many popular pens. Several features justifies its price tag. The innovative slide technology allows for single-handed operation, while the formula of gel ink provides a smooth and consistent writing texture.
- Innovative slide-open technology allows single-handed operation
- Metallic fusion resin provides style and sophistication
- Gel ink formula flows flawlessly for incredibly smooth laydown
- Refillable design allows you to convert into ballpoint pen
- Perfect for daily use at home, office and school
What Are The Best Gel Pens?
Pentel EnerGel RTX Retractable Liquid Gel Pen
The Pentel gel pen combines all the best qualities of a liquid and gel pen with a fast-drying ink that even left-handers love. The pen also offers maximum comfort to its user with a latex-free grip and sleek barrel design.
- High performance ink technology combines the best qualities of liquid and gel ink for a super-smooth writing experience
- Liquid gel ink dries so fast even left handed writers love it - no smears, no smudges, no globs
- EnerGel ink writes more smoothly than the leading brand (Internally tested to be smoother writing than the leading gel...
- Sleek and stylish barrel design with metal accents for a Professional look
- Maximum comfort and control with the latex-free grip
Signo RT1 Retractable Gel Ink Pen
These colorful gel pens are available in a range of hues and write incredibly smoothly while providing clear, vivid lines. And the fast-drying ink helps to prevent any smearing from the product.
- Set contains 5 x UMN-155-05 Signo RT1 Retractable Gel Ink Pen, Extra Fine Point 0.5mm, Rubber Grip, Black Ink + 1 x...
- UMN-155-05 Signo RT1 Retractable Gel Ink Pen, Extra Fine Point 0.5mm, Rubber Grip, Black Ink, UMN15505.
- Stationery JP Compact 5-color Sticky Notes 100 Pieces Ecology Type, NBM02454. It's convenient to carry them with you.
- Writes amazingly smooth while providing crisp, vivid lines.
- Quick-drying ink helps prevent smearing.
What Is The Best Ergonomic Pen?
Pilot Dr. Grip Center Of Gravity Refillable And Retractable Ballpoint Pen.
The Dr. Grip pen has a perfectly distributed weight that provides a comfortable and balanced writing experience. A double layer grip offers reduce stress when writing.
This pen is recommended by the Arthritis Foundation and is a refillable, reusable ballpoint pen.
- Designed with perfect weight distribution for comfortable, balanced writing
- Wide double layer comfort grip and balanced gripping axis reduce writing stress
- New Turbo Charged Black ink with Medium point for ultra-smooth writing performance
- Recommended by the Arthritis Foundation
- Retractable and refillable
Which Are The Best Premium Pens For Everyday Use?
It may seem decadent to spend more than a couple of dollars on a pen. But, when you consider that this is an item you use every day – and that its style can impact both your handwriting and the comfort of your hand, you may realize that it’s worth spending a few extra dollars on getting just the right pen.
Uni Jetstream 4;1 Red, Green, Blue, and Black 0.7mm Ballpoint Multi Pen
This pen is a five-in-one, with red, green, blue, and black ink housed in the same body. Additionally, a mechanical pencil is available for those moments when you’re a little unsure.
The Uni Jetstream is water and fade resistant, while its quick-drying ink helps reduce smudges and smears. In addition, the advanced writing grip responds to your touch to give you optimum comfort and control.
- Black JETSTREAM 4&1 has four 0.7mm ballpoint ink components (red, green, blue, and black), plus a 0.5mm mechanical...
- Mechanical pencil utilizes Nano Dia 0.5mm HB high quality blended lead for a sharp, erasable writing experience.
- The perfect tool to keep you organized without the clutter of multiple pens and pencils.
- Water, fade, and forgery-resistant quick-drying ink.
- Advanced writing grip is responsive to your touch for optimum control and comfort.
Pilot Acroball 1000 Ultra-Premium Ball Point Pen
Pilot calls it “the ballpoint pen of the future” thanks to its premium design that delivers performance and durability. A sophisticated barrel houses “advanced ink,” which is smooth writing, quick-drying, and smear-resistant. Plus, it writes in extreme temperatures and wet conditions.
The tip is made from tungsten carbide material, and the barrel is durable yet stylish.
- Ultra-Premium Ballpoint Pen: Upgrade to the ballpoint pen of the future with the Acroball 1000; Refillable and...
- Why Acroball 1000: The ultra-premium Acroball 1000 from Pilot is the best at delivering performance and style by...
- Advanced Ink: Acroball's smear-resistant quick-drying Advanced Ink formula empowers you to write smoothly and...
- Power to the Pen: Pilot makes exceptional writing instruments to suit all your needs; We have fountain, ballpoint,...
- Trusted Quality: We've been making pens for over 100 years; Whether you're taking notes, stocking up on school or office...
What Should I Look For In An Everyday Pen?
When looking to purchase an everyday pen, there are several factors you’ll want to consider.
For a product you use every day, comfort is one of the most critical factors, and you’ll want to select a pen that feels good in your hand and is comfortable to write with.
In addition, you’ll want to look for a pen that provides a crisp, clean finish; fast-drying ink is a significant feature for left-handers to help prevent smudges and smears.
Finding the perfect pen for your daily needs can be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Whether you’re keeping a journal or writing a letter, you’ll want a comfortable pen that provides a clean and neat result.
Each type of pen brings its own set of positive qualities, and in the end, it does come down to personal choice over the look and feel of the implement. If in doubt, opt for an ergonomic pen that combines the best qualities of other styles while providing optimum comfort to your hand.