We all know how important pen quality is. Whether you’re a student taking notes, a reporter jotting down interview details, or a graphic novelist fleshing out your newest idea, a good pen can mean the difference between successful writing and a frustrating experience.
So what is the smoothest pen to write with? Are suggestions for the smoothest writing pens:
- BIC Round Stic Xtra Life Ballpoint Pen
- Muji Japenese Gel Ink Pen
- Papermate Inkjoy Gel Pen
- Montblanc Classique Rollerball Pen
- Uni-Ball Jetstream Retractable Ballpoint Pen
- Pilot G2 Premium Gel Ink Pen
- Pentel EnerGel RTX Retractable Liquid Gel Pen
- Uni-Ball Signo Retractable Gel Ink Pen
The rest of this article will tell you everything you need to know about each of these pens so you can make an informed decision about which to buy for a smooth writing experience.
Table of Contents
- 1 What are the Types of Pens?
- 2 What is the Smoothest Pen to Write With?
- 2.1 BIC Round Stic Xtra Life Ballpoint Pen
- 2.2 Muji Japanese Gel Ink Pen
- 2.3 Papermate Inkjoy Gel Pen
- 2.4 Montblanc Meisterstuck Rollerball Pen
- 2.5 Uni-Ball Jetstream Retractable Ballpoint Pen
- 2.6 Pilot G2 Premium Gel Ink Pen
- 2.7 Pentel EnerGel RTX Retractable Liquid Gel Pen
- 2.8 Uni-Ball Signo Retractable Gel Ink Pen
- 3 Conclusion
What are the Types of Pens?
Notice that each of the above-listed pens ranges in types, from ballpoint, rollerball, and gel. While each of these types has the potential to provide a smooth writing experience, it’s important to know the differences.
- Ballpoint pens – can write on a wide range of surfaces, including glossy paper, which other ink pens smudge when applied to
- Rollerball pens – don’t require much pressure because of the free-flowing ink, arguably providing the smoothest writing experience
- Gel pens – a type of rollerball pen, these pens write with precision and typically have thicker lines than standard rollerball pens
What is the Smoothest Pen to Write With?
Below are eight pens that are considered the best quality when it comes to smooth writing. Included with each pen’s description is a link to Amazon (Pensguide.com may receive a small commission if you purchase anything after clicking these links).
BIC Round Stic Xtra Life Ballpoint Pen
According to the NPD Group / U.S Tracking Service, this pen is the number one selling ballpoint pen in the nation. Its most popular colors are black, blue, and red and its translucent chamber provides the user a view of how much ink is left.
If you’re looking for a smooth writing experience without breaking the bank, the BIC Round Stic Xtra Life Ballpoint Pen is for you. At a price of around $7-8 for a box of 60, the affordability of this brand can’t be beat.
- Ballpoint Pens have a frosted cap and translucent barrel for visible ink supply.
Muji Japanese Gel Ink Pen
Another affordable option for smooth writing, the Muji Japanese Gel Ink Pen costs about $16.00 for a pack of 10 and is available in black and blue ink. It has a translucent chamber so the user can check the ink level.
As a gel ink pen, the lines the Muji Japanese Gel Ink Pen produces are thick, yet precise in their application. Their classy, no-nonsense appearance makes them perfect for notetaking and official writing.
Papermate Inkjoy Gel Pen
These colorful gel pens come in a rainbow of colors and feature a comfortable rubber grip and less smearing than Papermate’s earlier version of the pen. Since the ink dries quickly, it contributes to less smearing.
As a gel pen, the ink flows smoothly and requires less pressure, making for a smooth and comfortable writing experience. Because of their wide range of colors, these pens are perfect for avid journal writers and artists. They are also affordable, costing just over $27.00 for a multicolor 12-pack.
- Dries 3X faster* for reduced smearing
Montblanc Meisterstuck Rollerball Pen
Satisfied users of this luxury pen claim the smoothness of the writing and the comfortable grip. Because it is a Montblanc pen, there are reports of counterfeit Montblanc pens out there, so be wary when purchasing this pen, and don’t forget to ask the seller for a certificate of authenticity.
- Rollerball pen
Uni-Ball Jetstream Retractable Ballpoint Pen
With exceptionally smooth and crisp writing, you won’t be disappointed with the smooth quality of writing that the Uni-Ball Jetstream Retractable Ballpoint Pen delivers.
An affordable option that costs around $10 for a pack of three, this pen comes in blue, black, and red. It is also retractable, preventing ink bleed when not in use. Each pen is equipped with a comfortable rubber grip that makes for a more pleasant writing experience.
- RETRACTABLE BALLPOINT PEN: Our black ballpoint pens combine the smooth, vivid writing of gel ink with the quick-drying,...
Pilot G2 Premium Gel Ink Pen
This popular pen comes in a variety of colors, including black, blue, red, green, pink, teal, and more. The standard versions have thick, crisp lines, but the pens also come in fine and ultra-fine tips, which provide thinner lines. Pilot is a widely known brand with pens that come in many varieties, including mini, fashion, metallic, and more.
The Pilot G2 Premium Gel Ink Pen is sleek and affordable, with a transparent ink chamber so the user can monitor the ink level and a comfortable rubber grip. A pack of five costs $6.
- The Ideal Pen for Overachievers: The smooth writing, long-lasting Pilot G2 Premium Gel Ink Pen features a comfortable...
Pentel EnerGel RTX Retractable Liquid Gel Pen
These colorful pens come in a wide range of colors and are great for artists, avid journal writers, and anyone who values a splash of color in their everyday writing.
The liquid ink in the chamber flows freely through the fine point when applied to paper, so the user doesn’t have to exert much pressure when writing, leading to a smooth and pleasant writing experience.
The Pentel EnerGel RTX Retractable Liquid Gel Pen is retractable, preventing ink bleed when not in use. Each pen also comes equipped with a contoured rubber grip, and Pentel advertises the pen as ideal for left-handed users. It is an affordable option, with a price tag of around $15 for a multicolored pack of 5.
- High performance ink technology combines the best qualities of liquid and gel ink for a super-smooth writing experience
Uni-Ball Signo Retractable Gel Ink Pen
With an ultrafine tip and a smooth ink application, this pen leaves crisp, precise lines that aren’t as thick as traditional gel pens. These qualities are perfect for scribbling on sticky notes and jotting down lists when you have limited paper space.
The Uni-Ball Signo Retractable Gel Ink Pen comes in a wide range of colors, and is retractable, which prevents ink bleed from the tip when not in use. Each pen comes with a smooth rubber grip for comfort when writing.
This pen is an affordable option, costing around $13 for a black pack of five.
- Set contains 5 x UMN-155-05 Signo RT1 Retractable Gel Ink Pen, Extra Fine Point 0.5mm, Rubber Grip, Black Ink + 1 x...
In this article, we’ve covered a wide range of pens with vastly different pricetags. Each of them is a great option if you are looking for a smooth writing experience.